Threat in Gym Forces Evacuation

By Daniel Bodden

UPDATE: Tues. April 21, 7:00 a.m.

In an email update last night regarding the safety threat and evacuation that took place on April 20, Principal Andy Downs informed parents that the individual responsible for writing the message on the gym wall had been identified, and that disciplinary action and legal consequences would be given. That update can be found below.

Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 6.43.55 AM

















UPDATE: Mon. April 20, 3:00 p.m.

When the building was swept, no device or significant threat to student safety was discovered. Resource Officer Sarah Brueggeman was assisting in the investigation of the threat made. According to Officer Brueggeman, a student reported seeing a message written on the wall in the gym, and the administration and Officer Brueggeman were notified. As a precaution, the school was evacuated a short time later.

The administration has not yet commented on the investigation. A faculty meeting was held after school in the Learning Commons to update teachers and staff on the situation. We will continue to provide more information as it is made available.

According to Officer Brueggeman, the threat is a Class C or Class D felony for an adult, which could result in one day to one year in County Jail, or between four and seven years in the Department of Corrections or a $1 to $5,000 fine. If a juvenile commits the same act, the repercussions for their actions can vary.

“My advice to someone considering this would be don’t do it. It’s stupid, and the punishment is severe, some people may think it’s a joke, but it’s very serious, and a lot of time and resources are spent investigating these threats, ” Officer Brueggeman said.

ORIGINAL STORY: Mon. April 10, 12:30 p.m.

At approximately 9:25 a.m. this morning, during Homeroom, Activities Director Mike Janes made an announcement ordering students and faculty to evacuate the building. There had been a message found in the gymnasium that was deemed threatening to student safety. While students and staff congregated on the football field, law enforcement officials conducted a building search. After about 45 minutes, the all-clear was given and students and staff returned to the building. Once students returned to Homeroom, Head Principal Andy Downs made an announcement explaining the situation and warning of the repercussions.

Downs sent a safety alert to parents notifying them of the evacuation. The safety alert can be viewed below.



This is a developing story. It will be updated as more information is available.